Thursday, October 8, 2015

Week Four - Bogotá Columbia MTC


Hola!
Today was a great day to ride a llama.  Yes, I rode a llama today, well, I sat on it and got my picture taken.  But!  It was really awesome and one of the highlights of my time here!  We rode this telefenco (I believe that is what it’s called) . . . up the side of this mountain to Monserrate.  At the top we got to see an amazing view of Bogota.  The city went on as far as you could see and apparently that was only a third of the city.  The culture here blows my mind.  I’m definitely not in America anymore.  We got to go shopping for probably 40 minutes or so and it was really fun seeing all of the different crafts.  Everything is so colorful.  The people are also really nice. 

We went to the temple again this morning and I met some great people after the session.  It’s nice finally knowing enough Spanish to have an actual conversation with someone.  We met this lady outside the temple named Camilla.  (I got so excited!  I told her my sister’s name is Camille.  Not exactly the same but close enough.)  She introduced us to her friend who isn’t a member whom she brought to show her the temple.  Her name is Lucienda I believe?  Names are really hard for me to pick up in conversations.  But she was really nice and let us ask her questions in our Spanglish.  She also has a daughter named Camilla!  I love talking to the people here. 

Oh! Speaking of talking to people, so last Friday we went proselyting/contacting for a couple hours in another part of the city and it was awesome!  Our goal was 18 referrals for the 3 hours, which was a huge goal for us because my companion is still working on her confidence to open her mouth and speak.

So I knew I’d be asking most of the questions and doing the majority of the talking, so 18 was A LOT!  Then by the time we got to the area, we had only 2 ½ hours, so I wasn’t to sure if we were going to reach our goal.  But I decided to not focus on the number and focus on each person we talked to.  We ended up getting 21 referrals!  We also gave out all our Books of Mormon and only had 3 pamphlets left when we finished!  Our district in total got 43 contacts.  The idea that two of us made up nearly half of that number blows my mind.  The number doesn’t matter to me so much as the fact that we surpassed what we thought we were capable of and we were able to meet some AMAZING people along the way.  The Gospel is for all of God’s children, and that means everyone!  I wish I had more time to tell you all about some of the amazing experiences we had that day but for now just know that I am loving this work.  Being a missionary is the hardest and the best thing I’ve ever done. 

General Conference was amazing by the way!  I took more notes than all of the past conferences combined!  I went in with 10 questions and came out with every single one answered, and then some!  It was as if every talk was custom tailored around what I needed to hear.  I hope you got your questions answered or received the support you needed from conference.  If not, go online and watch the talks!  They’re amazing!  My favorite was by Elder Durrant on ponderizing!  My goal is to ponderize one scripture per week my entire mission.  You should join me!  My scripture this week is D & C 6:36-37.  It has already helped me so much even after only two days.  The scriptures contain so much hidden treasure, we just have to go and find it!  Use the footnotes!  Start your scripture study with a question in mind.  I know you’ll receive an answer!

I can’t believe Ecuador is two weeks away! 

Much love and prayers from my Columbian casa to yours.

As always,
Hermana B.


Bogota buildings

Variety in architecture

More architecture with variety
Colorful shopping
Riding up the mountain
Heading up the mountain
Look how beautiful!

View from the top of a cable ride up a mountain

Look at the sky and mountains.


Panoramic view

A view from the top 

Our district with a view of about 1/3 of the city of Bogota.

A selfie with the mountain view.

My llama moment :)

What do you think of the mountains in Columbia?

No comments:

Post a Comment