Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Week Eight - Getting Acquainted with Ampato

Hola Familia!

Wow, this week has flown by. It's also been the hardest week yet. In the CCM I had some rough days, days where I didn't believe that I could actually do this work. However, the feelings I felt then compared to the feelings I feel now, when we have a progressing investigator with a baptismal date drop us out of the blue, it's so different. My companion and I can do everything we can to support, help, and teach someone, but if they aren't willing to keep commitments our hands are tied. At times it feels as if learning the language is easier than accepting the fact the people have their agency. 

Despite how difficult it was, this week was still filled with mind blowing miracles. The hand of God is always in this work. We just have to open our eyes to see it. 

I was feeling a little down about the language and whether or not I was making a change here in Ecuador. Then last week we were heading from one appointment to another when we passed by this house with the entry door wide open. (Which is really rare) I saw that there was a door on the first level and then a set of stairs. We weren't contacting at the time so my companion kept walking but I couldn't stop looking at this house. We make it a priority to contact families so I told myself that if I saw a toy in the driveway that I would let my companion know that we needed to stop. There was a single toy car. So we stopped and knocked on the first door. No one answered. We were going to leave and then we decided to head up the stairs. That's when we met Sarah. Sarah welcomed us in to share our message about eternal families. Turns out Sarah and her husband German have a 3 year old daughter named Valentina who can't walk. They've struggled to understand why she was born with this disability and why God would do this to her. We had the opportunity to testify to her that Valentina was a valient daughter of God in the Pre-Mortal life, and that when we are all resurrected that Valentina will be made whole through the power of our Savior Jesus Christ. Sarah accepted the baptismal invitation and the next day she called us (this never happens) to invite us over to teach her husband all that we taught her the day before. They accepted baptismal dates! The only problem is they work Sunday's. So we're constantly praying that they'll be able to work something out so they can come to church. They are so ready for the gospel. As we teach them it's as if it's familiar to them, and that's because it is! This experience taught me that even if I can't speak the language perfectly, I can still follow the spirit and continue to fulfill my purpose as a missionary to invite others to come unto Christ.

The primary kids at a baptism of a member that we set up for

Last week on Pday when we made brownies...which were kind of raw...whoops

Hermana Pace and I on the Bus to Quito

Not sure if I mentioned Jose Luis in last weeks email but he is AMAZING. I have no doubt in my mind that he's going to be a bishop or stake president one day. He loves the Book of Mormon and completely eats up the doctrine. He is super excited for Home Teaching because he can't wait to share his conversion story and his testimony. Ah! He's amazing. We're hoping he'll be baptized this week but he has a friend that he wants to do the baptism but he won't be in town so we'll see.

We also met Aña this week. We were walking home when we saw what looked like an American walking with her Ecuadorian husband and two little boys. When we contacted her we found out that she's actually from Ukraine and started learning spanish when she got here. She was super receptive to us because she doesn't have any friends here and we're obviously outsiders as well. When we taught her Saturday it was amazing to hear her story and get to know her. We left the appointment questioning whether or not she's a member. She just has so much faith and was using terms we've only heard in the church. I'm so excited to teach her again. It's easier to talk to her because she understands the struggle of learning the language so I don't have as much hesitation when I open my mouth.

I wish I had more time to describe the other miracles of the week. Missionary work is amazing. Everyone should take part in it. It's the hardest work but that's because it's the most rewarding. We got to see a recent convert use his priesthood for the first time last night when his father in law needed a blessing. I wish you could've all seen the look on his face. He was so happy, nervous, excited, and more.This is what the work is all about, and that is what is going to keep me going this week, the joy of the gospel and the way it changes lives, every single day.

Keep the faith and don't forget that you are a child of God!

Con mucho amor,

Hermana B

P.S. My ponderizing scripture for the week when things get rough and the blisters get worse: 1 Nephi 3:7

No comments:

Post a Comment