Monday, September 5, 2016

Week Fifty-two: Ice Cream & Aftershocks

Cool monument that probably isn't all that historic in Downtown Quito
Hola mi familia!

So this week was super fun! Really different that's for sure. Let me let you all know why haha. So first off, guess who I found in the mission offices today! Hermana Callirgos! She got to the CCM the same day as me! She was there my first two weeks and I didn't know how to speak Spanish for the life of me but she was always helping us. We lived in the same room and when we got back from classes she would always help us practice what we learned that day. She even helped me write my first talk in Spanish! I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw her. We were leaving the offices when I heard someone scream "Hermana!" Hahaha She is serving in the Quito North mission. Turns out that we started training at the same time. And even funnier fact, her daughter was in the CCM with mine! Hermana Herrera shared a room with the companion of Hermana Callirgos! What a small world. That was so fun to see her today.

Next fun fact, well during the 12 weeks of training, a missionary has certain goals that they have to achieve. Well, the goal for last week for my companion was to take all of the initiative in every single finding and teaching situation. Well, let me tell you, she did a great job. My companion practically taught without me all week. Well. She did. Haha. Yes. I was in the house all week. With a weird virus. Don't worry mom. I'm perfectly fine now. But it wasn't fun. I wasn't planning on telling you all because I'm fine and healthy now and don't want to worry you all with something not so important.  But, I thought about it and I think that it's better that we don't just put our experiences to the side but that we learn all that we can from them. 

I'll spare the details, but I had to stay home because I was without energy the entire week. It was crazy. My mind and spirit had all of the energy in the world but the second I would try to leave the house and start walking a few blocks I felt like I was going to fall on my face.  I was so worn out, haha! It all started with a weird cold and then nausea and then before I knew it, the mission nurses sent me home to sleep. :( It was pretty sad.  I had a doctor's appointment and he sent me home with a few prescriptions and 2 more days of rest. They were 2 really long days. But thanks to the help of the sisters in the ward, it was a cool experience. Ivana, one of the sisters who is preparing to leave on her mission in Paraguay left with my companion during the week to visit the people and I had half of the Relief Society taking shifts to keep me company, haha. 

Okay, not half . . . but quite a few sisters helped me out. Haha. And by the way, they make really good homemade chicken noodle soup here. It's probably the first time I've actually wanted soup on the mission, since I was actually sick. Hahaha. And it was great talking with the sisters. I felt like I was teaching lessons in my own apartment.  We would talk and talk and they would share their struggles or concerns about the callings or family and I got to share scriptures with them and help them out. 

We also have a little DVD player in the house and one of the sisters is less active and a nurse, so she helped me out a ton and we watched the Restoration together. The next day she came again to sit in the house with me and her spirit had changed completely! She said it was all thanks to the movie we saw, and that she never knew before all of the things that Joseph Smith went through and that it motivated her to keep pushing through all of her trials that she was going through. It was a really uplifting experience for me. It made me feel a bit more useful, haha. 

Well by Sunday morning I was feeling fantastic and ready to work. We got up that morning and went to church and gave the lesson in Relief Society. We taught about the importance of Visiting Teaching. It was a ton of fun! We gave the same training that I gave in Santo Domingo but just a little tweaked for this ward. It was awesome! 

Fun moment of the week. On the way back from the offices today we were sitting on the bus when an ice cream man came on to sell ice cream. They're kind of like otter-pops but not as sketchy as I'm making them sound. Anyways. They're delicious and we enjoyed our ice cream.  I wanted to throw my wrapper away because there's usually a little garbage bin on the buses. Well, I didn't see the garbage anywhere and I kept looking, but eventually gave up. Then about fifteen minutes later I got bothered again by the wrapper in my hand and looked more closely to see the garbage bin right beneath my seat....how embarassing. Haha. I learned that at times we limit ourselves to find the answers we're looking for because we blind ourselves to the truth that's lying right in front of our faces, something I've experienced several times in the mission. Life is a learning process. Many times it's uncomfortable because it requires us to go outside of our comfort zone or put an extra effort forward but what we gain from it in the end is so much better than living in ignorance or sitting with a sticky ice cream wrapper in your hand for 45 minutes. Haha.

Yesterday was pretty weird. We got back to the house a little early to catch up on some planning that we couldn't do during the week and I was feeling kind of anxious. All of the noises in the house were scaring me. I told my companion, "I just feel like something is about to happen" and I kept remembering the earthquake. About 20 minutes later we had a pretty big aftershock again haha. Pretty scary but it only lasted long enough to grab our emergency kit. Haha. All is well in Chillogallo.

Hey! I'm going to have a year on the mission this week! Weird how the time flies right!? Gotta love it! Not sure where I'll be next week with the changes we have this Sunday, but whatever happens I know I'll be happy being a missionary de la Iglesia de Jesucristo de los Santos de los Últimos Días! I love you all so much! Have an amazing faith-filled virus-free week!

Con mucho amor y cariño,
Hermana Beutler


Look who I found in the offices? Herrera Callirgos from the CCM.
Look how much we've both gained weight! Gotta love the mission!
It was so nice to finally be able to talk to her for real! 1 year later!
Zone Conference
Hermanas & Cookies
Zone Conference session at the whiteboard
My first real meal after a week. I went all out :) And it was delicious.
Our new district shirts! Chillogallo! For two changes up until the other sisters had emergency changes we only had nortes and peruvians in the district. The front of the shirt has the word chillo and a chicken(gallo) = Chillogallo :) I'll have to get a picture of the back to show you all
My cute companion and her new glasses. She´s no longer blind!

No comments:

Post a Comment