Monday, April 11, 2016

Week Thirty-one - "I knew it, but did I believe it?" - Bonnie L. Oscarson

Hola mi familia!

It's been another great week here in Santo Domingo.

It's hard to fit all of the things I learn into a few short words that I can write in an email, but I learned SO much this week. Every day is a new learning experience.

Armandina and Alejandro are doing so well! The devotion of the people who become converted to Lord truly amazes me.This week we taught them about Tithing and Fast Offerings, and she had just finished telling us that she wasn't going to be able to go to church on Sunday. She didn't have enough money to pay for the taxi which costs about the same as a soda in the US to give you an idea. But then a miracle happened and her friend payed her back the money she had owed her from a long time ago and she was able to go to church on Sunday! So then we went on to teach her the lesson and she was so excited! She doesn't have a job because she stays at home with her five kids but she wants to pay tithing! When we talked about fasting she got even more excited! We talked about how we can fast with a purpose, starting and ending the fast with a prayer. She said that she was going to start thinking about her purpose so she could fast. She's the best!!!!!!!!!!! 

I love the Book of Mormon. It's the greatest thing in the world! This week we saw that you can really apply any story or chapter to your life and learn from it. Our investigator Carmen (who is the best) was really stressed out one day and passing through some trials and so she opened the Book of Mormon to a random page and started reading! (isn't she the best?!) But she didn't really understand anything or what was going on. So when we came she asked us and it turns out she read in Alma 53, when Captain Moroni built defenses around the city Bountiful. The spirit helped us so much in that lesson! We explained to her that just like Captain Moroni built up the defenses around the city to protect it from their enemies, that we need to protect our homes and our children from bad influences and things that can damage the spirit we can have in the home. I am so grateful for the Book of Mormon and the Holy Ghost! The Holy Ghost really is the true teacher in missionary work. And the Book of Mormon gave us exactly what she needed in that moment!

I love the talk given by Bonnie L. Oscarson in this past conference. She talked about our testimonies, and the fact that at times maybe we know something, but do we really believe it? At first I didn't really understand her talk, because we've always heard that first we believe something, and then we know that it's true after having some kind of spiritual experience to testify of it. But then as I thought about one of the investigators that I have taught my entire time here in Santo Domingo, I realized that it is true, at times there are things we know but we lack the belief. This investigator has never gone to church, but has a knowledge that the Book of Mormon is true, that Joseph Smith is a prophet, and that the church is true because she prayed and received an answer. She works every other Sunday and her husband doesn't want to listen to us so it's hard for her to take the leap of faith and go to church on Sundays. I realized from this talk that what she lacks is the belief that her knowledge of the truthfulness of the restored gospel will bless her life if and only if she decides to act according to this knowledge. We were feeling like we hit a dead end with her but thanks to General Conference and the revelation of Bonnie L. Oscarson we have somewhat of an idea of how to help her. I am so grateful for the Restored Gospel and for living day Prophets, Apostles, and leaders in the church!

Santo Domingo is doing great! Rain is still a constant friend of ours and the rice is not! I'm actually getting really used to the weather here. I love the ward I'm in, the members are great! Things couldn't get any better! I never want to leave! 

I hope you are all doing fantastic! God loves you! I hope you know that! Keep reading the scriptures and going to church! There's nothing better! 

Con mucho amor,

Hermana Beutler

Mahonri turned 4!
He said something super funny so that´s why I'm half laughing in this one.
If only I could remember what he said
Face of guilt
Tatiana, Hermana Corado, myself, and an uninterested Mahonri. 
Hey I got a package! Thanks for sending the Easter goodies fambam!
Hey look it's a Beutler Family Reunion! Haha
I got some late Christmas cards this week! Thanks everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment