Monday, April 18, 2016

Week Thirty-two: "Be Prepared - It's Worth It"

Hola mi querida familia,


      First and foremost, thank you all for your prayers in this time of destress and disaster in Ecuador. My companion and I are still worn out and recovering emotionally from our experiences that night but we are eternally grateful for the miracles and protection that we received during this terrible experience. It's a night that I'm trying to forget so to spare everyone and specifically you mom from stress I'll wait until I'm home to share the details.


     Please keep the people in Pedernales, Guayaquil, and Esmeraldas in your prayers. All of Ecuador was affected but these cities saw the most destruction. I was really worried for the five sisters that were in the MTC with me who are serving in Guayaquil but I just heard from one of them and they are all fine. Prayers are being answer but there is still a lot of rescuing taking place in Pedernales. The only thing we can do is continue praying.


     My companion and I were talking a lot that day about how it's really sad that for many people, it's necessary for them to humbled through bad experiences or tragedies to repent or even believe in God. When the earthquake hit, all of Ecuador began to pray. In that minute of absolute terror, people were either praying for safety, or praying for forgiveness from their sins, but why is it that way? Why? When we have a Savior who suffered, died, and was resurrected for each and every one of us, there is no reason to fear, there is no reason to wait to repent. Now is the time to be prepared, spiritually, and physically, for whatever comes our way.


     As I've thought about what happened, I've thought about all of the tiny miracles throughout the day that our Heavenly Father gave us to protect and prepare us for what happened. Our experience was very different from many of the other missionaries in Santo Domingo, but I know that Heavenly Father led us to exactly where He needed us so that we could help and protect an investigator as well as learn to listen and confide in the spirit.

     I am eternally grateful for my Heavenly Father who sent me an earthly father who taught me to always be prepared physically for any type of situation, and for both of my earthly parents who have always taught me how to be prepared spirtually through the Gospel of Jesus Christ. 


     This morning we got the electricity back again and we're really happy about that. Our street was one of the few that didn't get it back right away from some minor damage from the earthquake but now we´re okay. Living by candlelight was alright but having the electricity again makes us feel a lot safer and sleep a lot easier.


     Please keep my investigators in your prayers. Armandina (our investigator that was going to get married this week and baptized next week) lost her 18 year old sister in Pedernales due to the earthquake. It'll be a long process of grief and pain for her family but we know that for this reason she has received the Gospel in her life at this time in her life. 


     I am so very grateful for the plan that God has for us. I know He lives. I know He loves us. He answers our prayers. I am a witness of that. Miracles are real, and they can take place in our own lives as we do our part to prepare ourselves physically by heeding the council of our prophet to prepare for emergencies as well as spiritually as we apply the Gospel of Jesus Christ in our lives and repent now instead of waiting for disaster to strike. I promise each and every one of you that it's worth it.

     I love you all so very much and again thank you all for your prayers. I have definitely felt them strengthening me in this time of great trial.



Con todo mi amor,
Hermana Beutler

1 comment: