Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Week Forty-Two: Meet Hermana Herrera


Hola mi familia!




Mi Hija! Hermana Herrera!
Meet "my daughter", from Peru

Wow! What a week it has been! My companion's name is Hermana Herrera! She's from Peru. She has two brothers and only herself and her younger brother who is 12 are active in the church. Her dad is Jehovah's Witness. She's AWESOME! I've honestly never met a missionary so prepared to start teaching and working before. Granted she's already got the language down and all haha, but she's great. I'm learning a ton from her and we are working hard! She is a very happy person. We celebrated her birthday on Thursday (her first day in the field) and we ate a TON! Everyone gave us food to welcome her to the mission. It was awesome. The Albán Family surprised her with a cake and she cried. It was so thoughtful! Especially when the economy is doing pretty bad here. Jenny doesn't have work still but the dad (who´s kind of out of the picture but trying to creep back in) found out that it was her birthday and bought the cake. They're the best!


The other night we went to visit them and they invited one of Emily's friends over. His name is Jonathan. He's 17 years old and has lived a pretty rough life. He's been involved in drugs and hasn't really had a support system at all in his life. We taught him The Restoration and it was one of the most memorable lessons I've experienced in the mission. The spirit was SO strong! He told us that he had never heard the Savior´s Atonement and purpose explained in the way we did. And that he didn't know that that type of change would be possible for him. He accepted baptism and came to church yesterday and loved it! We are so so so excited for him! Definitely future missionary material. :D


Well, if I've learned anything this week, it's that hard work brings miracles. It always does. God loves His children so much and He wants us to be HAPPY! At times we forget that it's our choice. We can wake up every morning with the determination to make today better than yesterday and to be positive people. I've never met anyone who has regretted being a positive person. It increases our health, stamina, and the spirit we bring with us. In all of the opposition I've faced in the mission I've learned that we choose our emotional outcome. We might not be able to choose the outcome of the event but we sure can decide how we handle it. Let's choose to be happy! :D

I hope you all know that I know without a doubt in my mind that the church is true and that the Book of Mormon is the most powerful book on the face of the planet. It changes lives. I know it because it has changed mine. I love being a missionary and I love all of you! I want you to know that Jesus Christ lives and loves us! As we get to know Him more we can truly enjoy of His Atoning Sacrifice and become someone new and improved!

Les quiero con todo mi corazón! 

Hermana Beutler

Mother Daughter Shot
Hermana Herrera turned 20 on her first day in the mission field!
Us celebrating with some cake and juice.
Hermanas of the district
Taste Tester
Her first Ecuadorian meal was an Encebollado.
I´m pretty proud of that. Starting with the good stuff.

Encebollado selfie
Fiesta!
She´s so cute!
It was probably the best cake I´ve had so far in Ecuador
(the cake doesn´t quite compare here to the box cakes in the states...)
Cake Selfie
Off to work!
Exhausted but happy
We still had a little bit of energy left in us.

No comments:

Post a Comment