Monday, January 2, 2017

Week Sixty-nine: "tú escoges"

My "i forgot to take pictures this week!" selfie
Hola mi familia!

HAPPY NEW YEAR! Here in Ecuador things were pretty awesome! Last year I didn't really understand what was going on but this year I did so it was cooler! Hahaha. So here the tradition is that every year they burn what is called the viejo. Its like burning the old year behind. But during the day the "viudas" or the widows (men dressed up as women) go around getting money. They dance, put a rope up to not let the cars go through, or chase the other men down until they give them money. Yeahhh, we're not allowed to leave on the 31st haha. Then at midnight they burn a man doll looking thing made out of old clothes that's supposedly the husband...(hence the widow). I know its very strange and probably doesn't make a ton of sense but its pretty hilarious. We saw a few viudas going crazy making a ton of money from our window all day on Saturday. The sad part is that they use the money later on that night on alcohol. But Saturday around 3 it started pouring down rain and it lasted till the night time, so it was good, they didn't make as much money hahaha. We set an alarm to wake up at midnight and we got to see a bunch of fireworks and our neighbors lighting up their viejos haha it was great!

Sunday evening I saw something that really made me reflect. We were on the bus when a drunk guy got on but from the back door. As he stumbled through the aisle just about fell on my companion haha but luckily he didn't then the bus driver called for him to go a pay but he didn't have any money so he ended up getting off the bus. As he got off he fell onto the sidewalk which was pretty sad but he was okay, nothing happened. When he got up I noticed that a book fell out of his backpack. The bus was going slow enough that I was able to read the title. It just said "Dios" or God. As he stumbled away it hit me like a brick wall the sadness that we see in this world as little by little the people abandon the God they know and love for things that bring only sadness. He never looked back, never noticed the fallen book, but the key to the story is that despite the fact that many in the world have chosen a different lifestyle than the one they were set out for in the premortal life, it doesn't take away the fact that God exists! God lives, He loves us, He knows us!  

We finally got the Liahona with the conference talks so I started studying it this morning and I started looking through the pictures! Besides the fact that I found Abby Karren in the pictures haha I also loved seeing that every single picture was so different! We are all so different but we are all children of a loving Heavenly Father who only wants us to return to live with Him one day! I also read the talk by Jean B. Bingham that was so great! It talked about how we can help ourselves and others bring the light of the gospel to our homes by being kind in our words and actions towards others. She talked about how a kind gesture or compliment can be like a much needed wind that carries a canoe or boat to its destiny. I loved that! She said (more or less) that "the true beauty of the gospel is the ability to progress eternally!" I LOVE THAT! That's why we're here! I hope that the goals you have all set can include this! Eternal progression for yourself and for others! What are you going to do to show love to others this week?

I hope you all have a great first week of the year! Make it a good one! Just like the quote on my mirror says "tú escoges" (you choose). We choose how to react to the challenges that come our way! Choose to be happy! It's so much better and so much fun!

I love you all!

con mucho amor,
Hermana Beutler

Burning 2016 goodbye and welcoming the New Year!
Catch a glimpse of the burning viejos

No comments:

Post a Comment