Monday, May 16, 2016

Week Thirty-six - Our beginning in Chillogallo

Hola mi familia,

How is everyone doing? I hope you're all doing fantastic! This week has been great! We've only gotten lost a few times but on the plus side it's been a pretty warm week so I'm only using three blankets when I sleep at night. It's great! Haha. But really I love this ward! I definitely miss my family in Santo Domingo but I am learning so much here and the members are awesome! 

Our first day we went out contacting and we were talking to this funny old guy and a lady pushing her mother in a wheelchair walked up and greeted us. Turns out she's the second counselor in the Relief Society! God really does love us. Her name is Dorci. She took us to her house and then we made plans to do visits with her during the week. I'm pretty sure she has accompanied us everyday. She's the BEST! . And her mom is super funny. She's 92 years old. She's losing her hearing but she definitely hasn't lost her ability to speak. Whenever we're with her she tells us these AWESOME stories that only the old people tell. She says she has served as Relief Society President 11 times. Hahah! She's so cool. She says she's frustrated right now because they released her from her assignment as visiting teacher since she can't physically continue visiting the sisters. But in her mind she can. She's great. Oh and the other night we went to do a visit to a member that we don't know and we were kind of lost with her directions so we called Dorci and she told us she was going to send her son in his bike to show us the house. So we waited and when we saw the bike coming we were relieved because we were pretty lost but then when we saw Dorci riding the bike we just about dropped dead! She is the best! Her son didn't know where the house was so she decided to come herself. I wish there were more people in the world like Dorci. 

Heavenly Father really has helped us this week. We've seen a lot of miracles. Our District Leader told us this week that not only are we opening a sector, but we're practically opening a sector that's been closed for three months, even though there were missionaries here before us...We have a lot of work ahead us. We're starting from ground zero with everything, which isn't easy but with the Lord on our side anything is possible. We feel strongly that we are going to see success this change as we continue working hard with a positive attitude. We have been able to gain a lot of the members trust this week and that's what's going to help us the most. I love this ward!

The work is definitely different in Quito. Our leaders have high expectations of us and the work moves quickly. I've already learned so much in this first week and I know that I have a lot of learning ahead of me. In my district there are 5 sisters which is a huge change for me because in Santo Domingo there were only 4 sisters in the whole zone. We're all gringas, which is fun but I also miss my latinas. My companion is AWESOME! We're 99% sure that we met before the mission (the same thing that happened with Hermana Morán) but we still haven't figured out from where. Probably the pre-existence, but who knows. It's weird how often that happens though on the mission. I've met a handful of people that I am absolutely positive that I've met before, but there's no way that I've ever seen them in my entire life. But that's the beauty of God's plan, we really are brothers and sister. Every single one of us. It's sad that we don't treat each other as such in this world. If we could just strive a little harder to see others as our Heavenly Father see us, His children, we would be living in a better world. It's for this reason that the Savior taught us in Matthew 5 the importance of loving everyone, especially our enemies. I'm sure that as we strive to apply this commandment in our lives that our enemies won't be our enemies anymore and they'll become the people we love, not because the circumstances have changed, but because they're children of God. As a district this week we're working to develop the Christ-like attribute of charity. I invite you all to join us! There are so many awesome scriptures on how we can be more loving and charitable. It's worth it I promise! Love has always been greater than hate, and that's why Heavenly Father's plan always wins and is always the best.

To answer questions about my sector, what's it like and all that jazz. Well, there's a lot of chicken. SO. MUCH. CHICKEN. Literally every other building on our main street is a chicken restaurant. I'm not lying. Check google earth. Haha just kidding. That would be creepy. But we are working in a really populated area. There are a TON of families! It's the best! I love working in this type of area. The rejection is a lot higher than it was in Santo Domingo but that's alright. Rejection is nothing compared to the mosquito bites. Speaking of which. There are no mosquitos and my house doesn't have fleas! So we're set to go! Haha. But I really am happy to be here in Quito. Still can't believe I'm here, really I still can't believe I'm here in the mission in general. Time is flying by WAY too quickly. But I'm happy to be serving the Lord here in Chillogallo. The mission is the best!

I love you all!
Have a fun and sunny week! And don't forget about Family Home Evening!

Con todo mi amor,
Hermana Beutler

P.S. In my zone we are ponderizing D&C 64;32-34 What scriptures are you all ponderizing? CHAO!

No comments:

Post a Comment